Our Story

How it all started...

    The first service of Wrightsboro United Methodist Church was held on Easter Sunday, April 1958 with 15 present at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Bond on Castle Hayne Rd.
    The Men’s Club of Grace United Methodist Church sponsored the church.  The first building was a Quonset hut donated by N.C. Littlejohn and remodeled by the church members with the financial assistance of the Men’s Club of Grace United Methodist Church.  At different times it served as sanctuary, class room and fellowship hall. . The first service was held on June 8, 1958 with 31 charter members.  The Women’s Society of Christian Service and the Methodist Men’s Club were organized on August 8, 1958.
   In the spring of 1959 we moved into the first sanctuary with 60 members and the Reverend Allen Wentz as our first pastor.  This sanctuary was built by the men of the church.

As we grew....

With membership increasing, in the fall of 1962, we built our present Educational Building.  In May of 1967, we received a check for $15,000 from the Ten Dollar Club to pay off our debt on the Educational Building.
   With time it became apparent that a new fellowship hall was needed.  On January 30, 1974 a Quarterly Conference was held and a Building Committee was appointed and plans for the building were approved.. The building (the present Fellowship Hall) was dedicated, free of debt, in July of 1978.

Still more change...

In early 1992 it became apparent that the sanctuary had become infested with termites.  The old sanctuary was torn down and rebuilding began. While the new Sanctuary was being built, the congregation worshiped in the Fellowship Hall.  Again a lot of the work was done by the members of the church .The first worship service for the “new” Sanctuary was March 29, 1994.
In 2003 we realized, we had grown so much that we needed additional space in the Sanctuary so additional space and the balcony was added.
The past 10 years has brought many new people to our church and we realized that we needed additional space for the children, youth and adults and well as space for fellowship.  So again a building committee was appointed in 2007.  We broke ground for Phase I on Easter Sunday, March 23, 2008 which will provide additional space for our Children’s ministry and more office space.  

Be a part of our story...

Join us every Sunday as we gather to worship together at 10 am.